Dental Distinction is a family dentist office in Chester Springs, PA. Jason Petkevis, DMD provides dentistry to children starting at age 3, once all of the primary teeth have erupted. We will see children at a younger age in emergency situations or by special request.
Pediatric Dentist vs. Family Dentist
A pediatric dentist is a specialist who primarily treats children and adolescents. A family dentist sees patients of all ages and is one who can grow with a child into adulthood. Families in Chester Springs appreciate the convenience and flexibility that comes with a family dentist and being able to have the entire family treated by the same dentist.
About Pediatric Dentistry
The American Dental Association estimates that over 50% of first-graders and 80% of 17-year-olds have cavities. While there are many things parents can do to ensure the health of their children’s teeth, one of the best ways to prevent cavities and tooth decay in children is through regular visits to the dentist and routine dental cleanings.
Good oral health contributes to the overall health of a child, encourages positive self-image, and improves feelings of achievement. Dr. Petkevis and staff help parents and guardians by teaching proper pediatric dental care and answering common questions about thumb sucking, tooth decay, orthodontic treatment, and wisdom teeth removal.
Cavity Prevention in Children
Diligent oral hygiene maintenance is the strongest foundation for a healthy mouth. As parents, it is your responsibility to instill positive oral health habits in your child from the very beginning. Did you know that over half of children aged 5-9 have at least one cavity?
You can help prevent cavities from becoming a part of your child’s development by encouraging them to brush for 2 minutes, twice a day, and floss regularly. We take the time to show our young patients how to effectively brush and floss to maintain good oral health.
A Child’s First Visit to the Dentist
Routine pediatric dentistry visits will include:
- Teeth cleaning
- Fluoride treatment
- Diagnostic x-rays
- Periodontal screening (for gingivitis and gum disease)
- Dental caries (cavities) screening
- Examination of the temporomandibular joints (TMJ) and jaw position
Dental Care for Children in Chester Springs
- Dental Sealants – Dr. Petkevis uses dental sealants to prevent tooth decay, forming a barrier to protect the tooth surface. A dental sealant is a thin coating, made from a bio-compatible plastic. They can be placed in a single visit and offer long-lasting protection.
- Sports Mouth Guard – A sports mouth guard is an excellent way to protect your child’s teeth from injury during sports. The guard usually covers the upper teeth; however, if your child wears braces or another fixed dental appliance on his lower jaw, Dr. Petkevis may suggest a mouth protector for these teeth, too.
- Invisible Braces – Many teens who need orthodontic treatment prefer invisible braces. Dr. Petkevis offers ClearCorrect invisible braces for discreet, comfortable treatment.
Schedule a dental visit for your entire family today. Call 610.400.1459 or request an appointment online today.