Millions of people grind their teeth. Called bruxism, teeth grinding, can lead to serious problems including jaw disorders, headaches and damaged teeth when left untreated.
Receiving dental services in the Chester Springs, Pennsylvania is easy and convenient when you visit Dr. Jason Petkevis Comprehensive Dentistry. Dr. Petkevis is specially trained to treat patients who are dealing with jaw and TMJ issues.
Identifying the Signs of Teeth Grinding
Bruxism is best treated by a qualified dentist. Dr. Jason Petkevis has devoted much of his post-graduate training towards the diagnosis and treatment of occlusal disorders including teeth grinding and TMJ dysfunction.
Dr. Petkevis can easily diagnose teeth grinding through a comprehensive exam.
Signs and Symptoms of Teeth Grinding
- Worn, flat or chipped teeth
- Abraded tooth enamel
- Sensitive teeth
- Jaw pain or tightness in the jaw muscles
- Facial pain
- Cuts or sores on the inside cheek
The TMJ, or the temporomandibular joint, is the joint that connects the top and bottom jaws. The TMJ is what causes the mouth to open and close. TMJ is also the term used to describe jaw disorders that keep it from functioning properly. The nerves in the face and neck are also affected when a patient has TMJ, often resulting in frequent headaches or earaches, neck and facial pain.
Treatment for Teeth Grinding in Chester Springs, PA
Stress is the primary cause for teeth grinding. Lifestyle changes and relaxation techniques may help to reduce or stop your teeth grinding. In many cases, though, professional treatment is needed to correct the source of the problem and repair damage caused teeth grinding.
- Bite Guard – Dr. Petkevis frequently uses a teeth grinding mouth guard, or bite guard, to stop teeth grinding. A bite guard is a customized, removable appliance similar to a sports mouth guard that is made to fit over your teeth and prevent teeth grinding. Most bite guards are worn at night, however some patients wear their teeth grinding mouth guards during high stress situations such as while driving.
- Bite Alignment Therapy – Dr. Petkevis is among the most experienced TMJ dentists in the Philadelphia area, providing a broad range of services to correct the causes of teeth grinding. Malocclusion, or improper alignment of the teeth, is one cause for teeth grinding. Teeth can be corrected to proper alignment through the use of invisible braces, dental crowns, porcelain veneers or dental implants.
- Cosmetic Dentistry to Repair Damage – Once the teeth grinding causes have been successfully treated, the dentist will focus on repairing damage caused by teeth grinding. Chronic teeth grinding can leave teeth worn, chipped or broken. Dr. Petkevis may repair teeth using dental crowns, porcelain veneers or cosmetic bonding.
Schedule an Appointment to Stop Teeth Grinding
If you or someone you love is suffering from teeth grinding, schedule a consultation with Chester Springs dentist Dr. Jason Petkevis. A simple bite analysis and consultation can reveal whether or not your teeth grinding is caused by TMJ dysfunction and you can be well on your way to much needed relief.
Call 610–400–1459 or Schedule an appointment to treat teeth grinding.