Dental Distinction is a family dentist office in Chester Springs, PA. Jason Petkevis, DMD sees children starting at age 3, once all of the primary teeth have erupted. We will see children at a younger age in emergency situations or by special request.
Pediatric Dentist vs. Family Dentist
A pediatric dentist is a specialist who primarily treats children and adolescents. A family dentist sees patients of all ages and is one who can grow with a child into adulthood. Families in Chester Springs appreciate the convenience and flexibility that comes with a family dentist and being able to have the entire family treated by the same dentist.
About Pediatric Dentistry
The American Dental Association estimates that over 50% of first-graders and 80% of 17-year-olds have cavities. While there are many things parents can do to ensure the health of their children’s teeth, one of the best ways to prevent cavities and tooth decay in children is through regular visits to the dentist and routine dental cleanings.
Good oral health contributes to the overall health of a child, encourages positive self-image, and improves feelings of achievement. Dr. Petkevis and staff help parents and guardians by teaching proper pediatric dental care and answering common questions about thumb sucking, tooth decay, orthodontic treatment, and wisdom teeth removal.
A Child’s First Visit to the Dentist
Routine pediatric dentistry visits will include:
- Teeth cleaning
- Fluoride treatment
- Diagnostic x-rays
- Periodontal screening (for gingivitis and gum disease)
- Dental caries (cavities) screening
- Examination of the temporomandibular joints (TMJ) and jaw position
Pediatric Dentistry Concerns
- Dental Sealants – Dr. Petkevis uses dental sealants to prevent tooth decay, forming a barrier to protect the tooth surface. A dental sealant is a thin coating, made from a bio-compatible plastic. They can be placed in a single visit and offer long lasting protection.
- Sports Mouth Guard – A sports mouth guard is an excellent way to protect your child’s teeth from injury during sports. The guard usually covers the upper teeth; however, if your child wears braces or another fixed dental appliance on his lower jaw, Dr. Petkevis may suggest a mouth protector for these teeth, too.
- Wisdom Teeth – Wisdom teeth typically erupt during the teenage years or early twenties. Dr. Petkevis offers wisdom teeth removal in the comfort of his Chester Springs dental office.
- Invisible Braces – Many teens who need orthodontic treatment prefer invisible braces. Dr. Petkevis offers Invisalign invisible braces for discreet, comfortable treatment.