Dental implants are made up of three parts:
- Titanium post, which is surgically placed into your jaw bone to replace the tooth root
- Titanium abutment or container, which sits just below the gum line and will anchor your new dental crown
- Dental restoration (dental crown, dental bridge or denture), which is made of durable, tooth-colored material and looks and feels like your own natural tooth
Benefits of Dental ImplantsDuring your consultation with Dr. Petkevis at his Downingtown PA cosmetic dentistry office, he will help weigh the pros and cons of dental implants. When you compare the benefits of dental implants to other options, dental implants are the obvious answer to missing teeth. The dental implant procedure has significantly improved and now holds about a 95% success rate. Dental Implants offer many cosmetic benefits as well as oral health benefits including:
- 95% or higher success rate
- Better preservation of bone structure
- Avoids degradation of healthy teeth (as in conventional bridgework)
- Improves appearance of smile and lower face
- Patients can eat food without restrictions
- No worry of dentures slipping or falling out
- Look exactly like your natural teeth
- Superior durability and longevity
The Dental Implant ProcessFor most patients, dental implant placement involves two procedures:
- First, the dental implant, a tiny titanium post, is surgically placed into the jawbone. The healing process varies, but generally takes three to six months. The dentist may place a temporary restoration onto the dental implant during the healing process to replace aesthetics and function.
- The second part of the dental implant procedure involves the implant restoration. Dr. Petkevis will uncover the dental implant and attach an abutment at his Downingtown PA dentist office. The replacement tooth or teeth will be attached to the abutment for a permanent restoration. In the case of a single missing tooth, Dr. Petkevis will use a dental crown. For two or more missing teeth, he may use a dental bridge or denture.